Saturday, August 31, 2013

Short trip back to the REAL WORLD

Haha Konnie =-) Short posts are sent from my phone whenever I can't get to a computer to compose a full manuscript.  With the end in sight, I am back east for a short time for a family emergency.  Life doesn't always fit into a schedule.  I am super lucky to have been so far ahead of my original plan and now have plenty of time to finish the trail before the weather gets too cold, in theory.  I head back to the west coast tomorrow where 2 wonderful trail angels have offered to pick me up and drive me back to the trail, WOOHOO!!!  It is barely september yet and I have already heard a few hikers comment that fall is coming early in the Pacific NW this year... Pray to the weather gods for me.  I (only) have 320 miles to go, which will take anywhere from 2-3 weeks depending on how much I need to get my "trail legs" back.

Through Oregon I hiked 30 miles a day because the trail is fairly flat and easy on the feet.  With so little of the trail left and some of the most rugged terrain in front of me I decided to slow down and savor the last piece of my trip.  The huckleberries are just starting to ripen and they are everywhere along the trail. A great excuse to stop and graze with the bears for some yummy berries. YUMMM

Southern Washington has been absolutely wonderful.  Before Cowboy and I left Cascade Locks, we went to the Eastwind Drive-In for the biggest and tastiest $4 breakfast burrito we've ever seen.  In the brisk morning sunshine we frollicked across the Bridge of the Gods into the lush green mountains of southern WA.  Not long after skipping past the Trailhead we come across a white 5 gallon bucket with "Trail Magic" written on the lid.  We peal off the lid with smiles of anticipation to find it half full of VooDoo Donuts that were melted together in a mass of sugar that was hard to know what to do with.  Should we get our spoons out or just break off a chunk?  I may never see another bucket of donut soup again but it was sure a great welcome to WA!

Peace, Love, and Happy Trails
~Beads


1 comment:


  1. Anxious for you to be home but sad for you that this great adventure is close to the end. Be sure to enjoy every step of what's left of the trail! Beware of the bears and stay warm.....fall is definitely in the air!!

    Ernie's humans ask about you all the time....hoping you will plan a visit with them!

    Be safe and have fun! ~Grandpa’s with you~

    ReplyDelete